- It helps discourage consumers from eating foods that aren't good for them.
- Health care costs of obesity are skyrocketing, and even non-obese people must share this cost burden.
- Additional revenue could be raised by the government to cover health care, medical research, and other items.
- People are personally responsible for their weight, not the products.
- How would you decide what items to tax? Virtually any products can make you obese if abused.
- A tax would punish successful businesses for providing products that people want.
- Obese people don't live as long as healthy people, so health care costs are front-loaded, whereas healthy
people generate health care expenses over several more decades.
- The government already taxes income, alcohol, gasoline, sales, and about everything else in our lives.
- Additional taxes can lead to job cuts in the affected businesses and contribute a degradation of consumer