- Iran is the biggest state supporter of terrorist groups in the world.
- It is openly defying the world in building nuclear weapons, and fanatical religious powers are less
likely to be deterred than a secular power. Iran could also pass this new technology to the terrorists
- Iran has openly called for the destruction of the U.S. and Israel, saying more than once that Israel should
be "wiped off the map".
- Iran is supporting the Iraqi & Afghanistan insurgencies and is making stabilization
there near impossible.
- The U.S. military may never again be so strategically placed, with troops in Iraq and
Afghanistan, covering both sides of Iran.
- The Iranian people deserve a chance at peace and democracy.
- Iran runs one of the most repressive regimes in the world, especially towards women and non-Muslims.
A legitimate threat of force may be the only way to get Iran to abandon its nuclear program peacefully.
- It would send a forceful message to Syria, Cuba, Venezuela, and other anti-American regimes around the world.
- Iran is funding the spread of hate towards America and Israel, and beginning with
the Islamic Revolution of Ayatollah Khomeini, is
as responsible as anyone for the current War on Terror.
- Many U.S. soldiers would be killed and wounded.
- A large number of civilians would likely be killed and wounded.
- World opinion, which is already heavily anti-American, would only get worse, with Iran garnering sympathy.
- With a largely fundamental Muslim population, an Iran guerilla war could be ten times worse than what it is
- Younger pro-American & pro-democracy parts of the Iranian population may turn against us as they rally to
defend their country.
- The U.S. military is already strained and occupied in Iraq & Afghanistan.
- There are less costly solutions like deterrence and sanctions. We could also allow Israel to do our dirty work
or battle covertly through the CIA.
- Rogue regimes like North Korea are more likely to stir up trouble with the U.S. military tied up in Iran and Iraq.
- The cost to the U.S. taxpayer would likely be in the hundreds of billions, money which could be spent on education,
homeland security, etc.
- Iran has close connections to terrorist groups around the world and is likely to unleash these groups in the
event of an invasion.